Our Tower: Reconnecting Beckford’s Tower and Landscape for all aims to connect people with the buildings and landscape created by the bisexual writer, slave owner, and collector, William Beckford (1760-1840).
The Tower Project
In 1826 William Beckford commissioned an extraordinary Tower, he created a garden between his Lansdown Crescent home and the retreat now known as Beckford’s Tower, where he could escape from the city within the natural environment. Many buildings designed within this landscape are now lost or have become detached from each other, yet Beckford’s Tower (Grade I) still stands above the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Bath. It is the only museum dedicated to William Beckford in the world.
Beckford’s Tower was added to the National ‘At Risk’ Register in October 2019 and we were delighted to receive confirmation of development funding of up to £422,600 from the National Lottery Heritage Fund a few weeks later.
What are the seven key changes we are making to the Tower?
National Lottery Heritage Grant confirmed!
We have secured the funding to restore the Tower, transform the museum and open up the landscape.
The Tower project is made possible with the National Lottery Heritage Fund, with thanks to National Lottery Players. With thanks also to Historic Houses Foundation, Art Fund Support, Garfield Weston, Historic England, Leche Trust, Pilgrim Trust, and SWMDP.
Whilst we have achieved our fundraising target, ongoing donations will increase the amount of work we can do, support a programme of activity beyond the project and ensure the resilience of our organisation.
Donations of any size are gratefully received and here are the ways that you can give:
- To donate by TEXT send this message: OURTOWER to 70085 to donate £10 (Texts cost £10 plus one standard rate message)
- Donate by BACS to the following account: Sort code; 40-52-40 Account Number; 00024926 Account Name; The Beckford Tower Trust
- Send a cheque payable to the Beckford Tower Trust to The Our Tower Project, c/o 1 Royal Crescent, Bath BA1 2LR
- Download the Beckford Tower Donation Form and email us your completed copy.
If you would like to find out more about the work we are planning and how your donation will be spent, click here to view our Beckford Tower Fundraising Booklet
What will we do?
With funding from the National Lottery Heritage Fund and others we aim to widen access to Beckford’s story by reconnecting the Tower and lost landscape, bringing the story of Beckford’s complex, creative life to a wider contemporary audience through:
- New exhibition spaces
- A new visitor experience
- Better interpreting the story of Beckford including wider exploration of
lesser explored themes of Beckford’s life, including sexuality, exile and connections with slavery
- New community programmes and volunteering opportunities
- A brand new schools programme
- Comprehensive conservation of the Tower
- Restoration of Beckford’s currently inaccessible Grotto Tunnel
- Conserving the surrounding landscape and creating new footpaths
Community Advisory Panel
Beckford’s Tower Community Advisory Panel was set up in November 2021. It consists of a group of staff and members from Bath’s heritage organisations, voluntary organisations, community groups and local residents.